I tried to act like it didn’t bother me that nobody believed what I saw. I had been doing my best to maintain my façade of indifference. It hurts when the ones that you love are obviously concerned about your well-being, though. Especially when you know damn well what it is that you saw.

“Honey? Are you still in your garage?”

My wife opened the door and began to walk towards me timidly. My garage was the place that I could come to get away when life was getting hard. This was definitely one of those times. I paused the slasher movie that I was watching and pressed my fingers against my eyes.

“Yeah, I’m still here.”

She walked over and grabbed me by the shoulders gently.

“I’ve been talking with your mother. We are worried about you.”

I put the controller down on the table and stood up, walking away from her in frustration.

“Worried about me? What do you mean? You make me feel like I shouldn’t have even told you anything.”

She looked dejected, and I could tell this wasn’t the reaction she was looking for.

“Well, you have been working a lot lately. You don’t think that maybe all the stress has just been getting to you? I was thinking that maybe you could take some time off. We could go to that theme park and get a hotel. You could take a whole week. It has been forever since you have had some time.”

I looked at her and rubbed the back of my head. I know that she meant well, but it was hard to not hide how offended I was.

“No. That’s ok. You just tell my mom that everything’s gonna be fine. I would just like a little bit of privacy if you don’t mind.”

“I really wish you would talk to me.”

I glared at her intensely for a second before relenting and looking away.

“That hasn’t worked out very well so far. I just want some time to myself, please.”

She looked as if she thought about persisting. After a moment, her shoulders slumped, and she admitted defeat.

“Ok, if you insist. At least come out of here to grab something to eat with me in a little bit. I don’t want you to stay shut up in here all night again.”

I sighed as I grabbed the remote and sat back in my spot.

“Yeah. Fine.”

She left me to it as I turned the movie back on. The screams came out through the speakers as the camp counselors dashed madly through the woods. I stared off into the corner and wondered how things had gotten to this point. Every day on my way to work, I drive by the same places. A few months ago, I started to see something.

At first, it was sporadically. Over time it became more and more frequent. I drive by the baseball field downtown on my way to the office. It’s one of many fun landmarks that I pass. The Zoo, the museum, during Christmas time, I even get to drive by the huge tree, which is always a treat. Lately, though, the baseball stadium has really stood out to me.

You see, I’ve been seeing this… thing. It’s always flying and hovering around the baseball field or perched on the top of it. Its body was enormous, about the size of a large man. It was unlike any natural being that I have ever seen in my life. The only thing stranger than its size was its massive wingspan. They were as long as a car from front to back, at least.

I tried plenty of times to pull over and get out my phone to snap a picture. Especially after I started to ask people about if they had seen it, and everyone started to treat me like I was crazy. It never worked, though. Any time I got close to getting a good picture, it would take off at an amazing speed that you wouldn’t believe unless you saw it yourself.

I laid back in my chair and watched the movie. I was trying to keep my mind off everything but failing miserably. I was dreading my drive to work the next morning. Eventually, I drifted off to sleep. It was a restless sleep full of nightmares. My teeth were falling out, a sign of insecurity. That was a recurring one, and I had looked it up after it wouldn’t go away recently. My wife and my mother were pointing and laughing at me. I woke up in a cold sweat the next morning to the sound of my wife’s voice.

“Babe, you fell asleep in the garage again. It’s time for you to get ready for work.”

I got ready quickly. It never took me more than 10-15 minutes or so. I grabbed a pop tart on my way out and gave my wife a kiss, apologizing for not making it to dinner. I got in my car and turned on my favorite podcast. It wasn’t long before I was taking the exit towards the street downtown that had plagued me for the last few months.

It was still fairly dark but beginning to brighten up. The traffic was moderate, not quite what it would be if I waited another 30 minutes to leave. I debated with myself about not even looking. When I got close, there was no stopping myself, though. I leaned forward and looked up, and sure enough, the thing was perched right above the left-field corner.

This was my chance. I was going to end all this crazy talk once and for all. I Pulled down an alleyway near the side of the field where it was. I parked the car near the side of the stadium and quickly took off my seatbelt. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and was preparing to run out to the street and get the best picture that I could.

As I grabbed the door handle, I was interrupted by a loud slamming thud on the hood of my car. I threw my phone in fear and looked in front of me to see what caused the commotion. Staring right back at me were two shining red eyes. This was the closest that I have ever seen the creature. I was shaking with fear, but I studied him intently.

His figure was imposing and large. I could see now that he looked almost like a giant moth in the shape of a man. He made no motions towards me, and he didn’t move from the hood of my car. He just sat there, perched, and staring directly into my soul. After a moment, he spread his wings wide.

This snapped me out of the trance that I was in, and I reached over to grab my phone. As soon as I made this motion, he thrust himself upward and took off into the sky. I punched my steering wheel, screaming and cursing as I did. I leaned forward to put my head on the wheel, and I noticed something on the hood.

I grabbed my phone and threw the door open. As I reached the front of the car, I ran my hands over the area to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me. There were two large indentations on the hood of my car. Physical proof! I was overjoyed, which might sound strange as my vehicle would need to be repaired. This creature had eluded me for all this time, though. I was ecstatic to have something, anything, to show my wife so that she could see that I was telling the truth.

I turned on the flash and took a few pictures of the dents. I made sure that I took it from enough different angles that you could really tell how substantial they were. Feverishly I began to type out a message to my wife and send the pictures. I finished the message and hit send, satisfied with the outcome of the encounter.

After a moment, I received a reply from my wife. She was shocked and confused. She begged that I don’t go to work and instead come straight home to go over what happened with her. I hate to miss work, but in these circumstances, I agreed and left straight from the alley to go home. It was a Saturday, so I was just going in to catch up on a few things, anyway.

When I made it back, she came out to look at the dents. She grabbed me tightly and apologized. I rubbed her back and held her close. After reassuring her that it was ok and that I forgave her, I insisted that we go inside to talk. We went into the breakfast area outside of the kitchen. I grabbed a cup of coffee out of the fresh pot and took a seat. She was looking concerned from across the table.

“So, you really have been seeing this thing? It must be huge, judging by the size of those marks on your hood. What could it be? I just don’t understand. I’m so sorry for doubting you. I just… It’s so unbelievable, isn’t it?”

I took a sip and looked at her reassuringly with a slight nod.

“It really is. I don’t blame you. I just wish I could have proved it to you earlier. I’m not sure where to go from here, though. A couple of giant dents in the hood of the car doesn’t exactly constitute enough evidence to go and get the police or any kind of authorities involved.

I supposed I could try to reach out to people online about it. If that goes badly, it could ruin my career, though. It just doesn’t seem like there is any right way to go about it. Maybe I should just start taking a different way to work?”

She shook her head slowly and held her hand towards her mouth. She was searching for an answer, but she was not having much luck finding one.

“I… I… I don’t know, sweetie. You’re right. I mean, you saw how your mother and I were reacting to your behavior. I don’t feel like posting it all over social media will do well for your public perception. Maybe there are investigators for this? Like a ghost hunter but for strange creatures?”

I got up to pour the rest of the coffee out and put the cup in the sink. I couldn’t handle any more nerves right now. Drinking caffeine was like a nervous twitch for me, but luckily, I thought better of it before I was 3 cups deep.

“Yeah, I assume that people like that might exist. I don’t know. We have the rest of the weekend to think it over. I’m going to head into the living room and try to relax. Maybe see if I can come up with any ideas. Thanks for your support.”

I walked over and kissed her on the head. Walking into the living room, I decided to sit back in my favorite recliner. Sometimes getting your mind off a problem can be the best way to come up with the right solution. I could do some research online in a little bit. For now, some TV surfing was just what the doc ordered.

After a few hours had passed, I saw that the pregame show was on for an afternoon baseball game. I always loved to watch my home team, so I flipped the channel over. It was strange seeing the stadium. They were playing a home game today. I wondered if the “Mothman” might make an appearance. Maybe he would swoop down and swipe up the power hitter for the other team. Who knows?

I felt bad for wondering this, even if in jest. Dark humor was how most people began to deal with messed up situations, though, right? The teams began to take the field, and the crowd was applauding. As the announcers were starting to introduce the players, something strange happened.

I saw what appeared to be the nose of a commercial airplane nosediving straight towards home plate. Within seconds there was an explosion and the screen cut to stand by.

“Babe! Come in here!!”

She came running, already on edge from the events of the morning. I explained what I had just seen on the game and changed the TV to our local news station. The reporters were a bit rattled, and the screen was covered in news flashes such as “Breaking News” and a rolling ticker about the event. The lead anchor was explaining the situation.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my solemn duty to report on what has just become one of the worst disasters in American history. A commercial airplane has crashed into the baseball stadium right here in the downtown area.

We are being told that the death toll could be in the thousands. The plane landed right in the center of the stands and is thought to have taken most of the players on both teams as well. We will go live to the outside of the stadium as soon as our correspondents make their way into position.”

I looked at my wife in disbelief and saw the same look on her face as well. After we were able to get past the initial shock of the situation, I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“He… It’s like he was trying to warn us… It’s like he knew what was going to happen, and he came like a harbinger of doom or something.”

She looked at me, shaking. As she began crying, I wrapped my arms around her and let the weight of the moment sink in.

Later that night, I was tearing through every forum and message board that I could. I was trying to find out as much as I could about this Mothman thing. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one in my city who noticed him before this disaster.

There was another time in a place called Point Pleasant when something similar to this happened. He came and was seen by people before the collapse of a bridge. When I made it back to the current sightings, I saw something that chilled me to the bone. The Mothman had been appearing in Washington D. C. today.

They said that the first sighting was a few hours after I saw him land on top of my car. He had been spotted on top of the Pentagon, the White House, and the Supreme Court. All on the same day. Dear God. Tell me it isn’t so…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s